Thursday 26 July 2012

3 uses for a mobile phone - exploring point of view


Before you start reading this post (bare with me) please complete this task.... list 3 uses for a mobile phone.

1._____________
2._____________
3._____________

At work last Monday I was a participant in a training course. In one activity, the guest speaker asked us to list (other than for phone calls) 3 uses for a mobile phone. We then had to share our suggestions with partners. My partners' list went like this: camera, diary, TV. Mine went like this: door stop, paving stone, domino. I was looking at alternative and physical aspects of the device not its current capabilities. At the time I didn't know what that particular exercise revealed about my thought processes. But in retrospect after reading this weeks prompt from Kat, I realise it means that my ability to explore different perspectives or points of view is developing well (or I have a comprehension problem).

This week, Kat has asked us to experiment shooting different points of view of stationary subjects. Before I took my camera out I went back to my inspiration file and noted that the most frequent perspective I use when photographing objects is 'along'. This technique allows me to hone the focal point but still keep the subject in context. My 'Goldilocks chair' image is an example of this. Today I pushed to move 'along' my most common point of view to try new perspectives: above, below, left, right, front, back, inside, outside, close and far.

missing pram wheel props

Much to my daughter's chagrin I scooped this little broken sole from the side of the road at this week's neighbourhood rubbish collection. I could not resist its charm and felt the two missing wheels added to its story. I thought it would be the most perfect subject for my 'different shooting points of view assignment'. I set to work capturing it, immediately but not consciously using my default perspective of 'along'. I focussed on the knitted cane weave but by doing this I was missing the whole perspective and setting. I then tried some other perspectives (see favourites below) and found myself enjoying the view.

My favourite photograph from this shoot is pictured above. Let me be so bold as to tell you why; I really like the sharp contrast of light and shadow and the way the camellias look like they are throwing dappled spotlights onto the deck. In this big picture image I can imagine the whole story; a little grubby faced saint playing mummies with an equally grubby faced doll, so engrossed in her play not least noticing the imperfections of the pram. I could not help but giggle at my alternative use of mobile phones as props for missing pram wheels.

Here are a few other photographs I liked from the shoot.

close
above
below
along

What were your 3 suggestions for the use of a mobile phone?

Also linking up my white pram pics with Bella's 'white' prompt at 52 photos project
 

12 comments:

  1. Very creative thinking! domino? It makes quite a different picture shooting from varied points of view, doesn't it?. I like the above & below shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use of a mobile phone: clock, emergency call, hand exercisers. -eileen

    As usual, you take these wonderfully un-usual perspective and trun them into otherwordly images from a fantastical story line. I love that the object is white woven material set against deep dark woods (lined decking) and green forest (bushes and trees). A twisted and evil feel and the same time the images are sweet and innocent. A stolen-baby story. Or devil bably. Creepy. Cool. Creatively outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and I love the little wicker buggy. What a perfect subject for this exercise. I love the first photograph with the pink blotchy flowers and the dappled shadows. The placement in the frame is exquisite. Are those really two mobile phones underneath the wheels? Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bagfilling, trashcanfilling, or on the bookshelf, I dont like mobile phone's and can almost say I hate them.

    But your use, I like a lot, its a great found and your images are so good, I like the viewpoints a lot, the one from below with the bokeh I realy find very pretty, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulously done and written Maxine! I had a smile on my face the whole post. I love your creative uses for a cell phone. Mine are remarkably drab: map, camera and alarm clock. Your uses and your photos are definitely NOT drab! This is a fantastic series of photographs. I love the story you saw in the little pram and how you explored the point of view. There is a different story in each of these images. My favorite is "below."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post. I always try to takes photos from a different angle. but most of the time I still end up with photos that are taken the same way as always. Really like the 'below-picture' because of the unusual angle, very nice!
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. camera, camera, camera and then phone for me - great post - love your different perspectives and the buggy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these white shots!
    (camera)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love all the different perspectives...love all the white!
    {camera, camera, phone}

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw your question my first use was clock (you know my NEED for time keeping) and second use was... doorstop!!! Because other than phone and clock my mobile is just an object that swishes around in my bag, usually on silent and often unanswered. So in fact I'm not very good at using it for it's intended purpose anyway!

    Love the pic of the pram from above; something very sinister and foreboding about it!

    ReplyDelete