Saturday 7 July 2012

2166 Cabramatta



2166 is home to the Sydney suburb of Cabramatta in South Western Sydney, 30km from the heart of the city. Arpana and I made our visit here today, a Saturday, hoping for a hive of activity. We were not disappointed. A lot of money changed hands today, local people were busy shopping for food of all varieties. Bamboo juice bars, fresh seafood, fruit and veg along with hot bread was the order of the day. Visitors flock to the area to take advantage of the abundance of fabrics and clothing. I too secured myself a little apparel souvenir. We even ventured into 'Lee Han Thanh Trading Company", which sold products for medicinal purposes.

By lunch time we were ready to try some of Cabramatta's culinary delights, so bustled our way into in a local yum cha restaurant. For the princely sum of $8 and a few cents our bellies were filled with delicacies of prawns, beef, egg and noodles all washed down with green tea served from grubby chipped crockery not fit for a king.

The local park, "Cabravale Memorial Park" was a history lesson awaiting our attention. Local Red Cross nurses of 1914 supported their brothers, sons and husbands by writing and sending comforts during WW1. The park was built in 1919 as a memorial "Lest we forget". Opposite the park, were some residential dwellings.

A thoroughly enjoyable day out. I used my 50mm lens all day and was anxious to get home to see the results. I have since spent the evening viewing the days hall over dinner of chocolate and tea.

also linking up with sunny & scout for point and shoot weekend

4 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous...I think a number of my photos will look much the same. Your abacus has turned out really well, and how happy does our medicine man look :) I love the nurses and the soldiers - really complimentary shots in composition and lighting as well as theme. I'm actually going through mine right now but not likely to post until tomorrow. Thanks for another great day!

    Where to next?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great thanks, can't wait to see your post!!

      Delete
  2. What a bustling place to go and visit for the day. You have done a great job capturing what your day was like, showing us around town I have a feel for Cabramatta now. I love to use my 50mm the most I think out of all of them and my wide angle lens too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing new places through the lens of others. You have captured a kaleidoscope of evocative images. I love the one with the lady in the pink coat, the abacus and the back of the hat in particular. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete